Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Day 9 - Wag the puss

My tip for today, based on my experience over the last two days is that the secret to a good story is a simple premise. I had problems yesterday with a story I was writing which I have shelved for now for the plain reason that there was no clear premise. I really wasn't sure what I wanted to do with the story and that is why I was sat staring at my pc at 10pm with dripping wet hair wondering why I was bothering to try this crazy project. But as I lay in bed pondering my problem I realised that previous stories I wrote had a clear premise and that premise was made up of three elements: protagonist, action and reaction. With those in place the stories always flowed. Take 'Rebel with a cause' as an example. The premise of that was 'a tree that resisted attempts to be cut down, dies from something unseen', or this story the premise of which was 'a dog that thinks it's a cat wants to climb trees but can't'.

So I have learned my lesson and hopefully this will help all you budding writers out there too. WORK OUT THAT PREMISE!

Enjoy

The Imaginary Scrapbook

No comments:

Post a Comment