Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Day 23 - The life and times of Bob the duck

So this story has been germinating in my mind for about a week. I read on BBC's website about a record breaking duck race on the Thames recently and liked the idea of a story about a rubber duck but I couldn't think of a suitable premise that I wanted to explore. Then I came across an article in the Daily Mail from a couple of years ago about a shipment of ducks that fell of a ship near China that have been floating on the open sea for 15 years and how some were finally expected to wash up on the english riviera. That was when the idea crystalised in my head, the journey of a rubber duck, the life of a rubber duck, what had he seen, where had he been. So I combined that seafaring story with a few elements of where we commonly see rubber ducks (baths, fairgrounds, etc) and the story was complete. Of course the name of my protagonist was perhaps a little cliche but I loved the simplicity of it and it suited my character-carefree and easy.

So I really love this story. Not just the message at the end, which was entirely accidental, but how synchronised the elements of Bob's life are to the ducks he meets in the race. I would say it's a perfect story, but feel free to disagree with me.

Enjoy

The Imaginary Scrapbook

No comments:

Post a Comment