Sunday, September 27, 2009

Day 27 - The Clockmaker's apprentice

This story popped into my head as I was staring into space wondering what to write. It wasn't fully fleshed out, but I had the idea of a boy that turns back time by making a watch tick backwards.

I kept seeing the story set in Victorian times but I didn't want it to become a cliche Dickensian style fantasy so I opted to let the reader decide where and what time period they want to set it in. I thinks it enhances the readers own experience if they can inject a little imagination of their own into the story.

I did find the structure of this story a little challenging particularly as I had to try and map the reversal of Mr Chivers's life whilst the rest of the world continued to turn with time. And also I had to reverse Mr Chivers's speech as well. At first I hoped there would be a program on the web that would do that for me, as there always seems to be, but in the end had to type the speech out the right way round and then retype it backwards.

Another tip I have, which I have used for stories before, is soap crayons. Every writer should have a packet of soap crayons. I couldn't function without them as I'm aways coming up with ideas or ways to resolve issues when I'm in the shower, and being able to write on my tiles is ideal, especially as my memory is short.

Enjoy

The Imaginary Scrapbook

1 comment:

  1. Hello,

    I'm with Quirk Books. I came across your blog and saw that you purchased and are currently reading Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. I hope
    you're enjoying it! I was wondering if you would like to be put on a mailing list to receive future news about the Quirk Classic series. In just a few weeks, we'll be announcing the next title.
    If not, that's okay. We won't bug you again.

    If you have any questions feel free to contact the publicity manager,
    Melissa Monachello, quirkclassics@gmail.com.

    Thank you for reading!

    Best,

    Jennifer Pacheco

    ReplyDelete