Monday, September 7, 2009

Day 7 - Rebel with a cause

This story was inspired by a real tree that is growing, or I should say dying, outside my local university library. I walk past this tree everyday. It's a really beautiful tree which has been much discussed as part of the university's plans to redevelop our library. However it was only when I returned from my gaunt to Starbucks (readers will begin to see a pattern here when it comes to me and Starbucks. This coffee establishment features heavily in my process) that the idea of a tree that wouldn't die could be a cool story.

When I developed the idea I thought the writing would actually come off in a comical manner, especially because of the ways the developer tries to fell the tree, but as the words came out, a more poetic voice seemed to appear on the page, entirely involuntarily. I'm starting to realise that if voice and idea come naturally I can really feel the story. The only problem is that given this project has its own deadlines I'm hoping that both of those things come naturally to me more often.

Happy reading.

The Imaginary Scrapbook

No comments:

Post a Comment