Friday, September 18, 2009

Day 18 - Games and Gargoyles

This story was a lesson in speed research. I read on the BBC website this morning about the new gargoyles that had been carved for the Bodleian Library, because the existing ones had weathered away, and instantly my mind set to work. The fact that the gargoyles had been designed by kids and that many depicted characters from popular children's literature I couldn't help but think that a story was within it.

Almost immediately I imagined them coming to life after dark. But rather than have them battle against each other, which wouldn't have worked as the personality of each of the gargoyles created is somewhat placid) I decided to make them play. And this worked quite nicely. However I have never visited Oxford University so there in lay my research. And also I wasn't familiar with a few of the characters, namely Sir Thomas and the General so I had to find out who they were so I could sculpt their character for the story. I wanted there to be an element of truth and recognisability to within the story and to have there characteristics inform the plot (like the two brothers quarrelling and being pursued by a crow, or the hypochondria of the writer of 'Three men in a boat').

Anyway as a result I knew I had to do that research quickly and speed read through some information, including a wonderful document on the Bodleian's website which details the history of the library (which helped me develop Sir Thomas's character). I hope I've done them justice in the short period of time I've had to get this story down. And I hope you enjoy my story.

The Imaginary Scrapbook

No comments:

Post a Comment