Thursday, September 17, 2009

Day 17 - Hope in the dark

I guess my lesson for today is 'connection'. In did struggle to connect with this story. I don't know whether it's because I don't know enough about the war or what it was like to live through The Blitz, or whether my roots are inherently scottish (in spite of the fact that's its been my home for the last 30 years). But I had to dig really deep to try and feel what it would be like. Both physically and mentally. That sense of lack of control over what is happening to you, especially when your movement is restricted. I had thought about tying myself up and perhaps lying on the floor but then my dog already thinks I'm weird and this may just have tipped him over the edge. He'd have been on the phone to my folks begging them to take him away from the crazy woman. But I really loved the idea. It actually came to me yesterday when I was reading online about parachute bombs. There was a few lines about a supposedly true story about a boy called 'Stanley Ewing' who survived for 3 days, after his house was bombed, on sugar and water from fire hoses. I thought it was an inspiring and miraculous story and wanted to explore just what it took for that boy to get through his ordeal.

Anyway, as a result of my problems it took longer for me to get this story finished than most of the others I've written. Maybe that is because I do funny and fantasy better than hardnosed drama. I guess only time will answer that question more fully as I progress with my mad idea.

Enjoy

The Imaginary Scrapbook

No comments:

Post a Comment