Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Day 2 - Seven days

This story was inspired by a real event that happened to me when I was a kid. An unscrupulous boy from my school found a bag of cash and proceeded to spend it. It's something I've never forgotten largely I think because I never found out where the money came from.

When I decided to write this the idea of my character pondering its origin over seven days seemed natural, breaking each day down to investigate different options. From there structuring it in a diary format was obvious, as was the decision to write it in the first person.

I actually found this story really easy to write. I'm wondering if that is in part due to the fact that its in a diary format and so I felt a bit freer with the tone, basically allowing myself to write directly from the thoughts onto the page: a world away from the way I usually write, with my internal movie playing in my head. Either that or it could be related to a chat I had with a friend over dinner last night. We were discussing how if a story comes freely to you, without effort, those are the ones with truth and resonance.

The Imaginary Scrapbook

No comments:

Post a Comment