Sunday, September 13, 2009

Day 13 - The Great Fairy Robbery

This idea came about after a chat I had with my mother. She's playing the fairy godmother in her home village's production of Cinderella (if anyone is in the vicinity of a quaint village called Blebocraigs in Fife I strongly urge you to come and see it. The villagers' productions are usually riotous. It's called 'Cinderella of Blebo'.)Anyway, shameless plug aside, that's when I started thinking of fairies and what they meant to me as a child. I confess wasn't really into fairy stories when I wa younger. I found them all a little too...wimpy. I was more into Grimm's fairy tales which were altogether much more sinister. The only fairies, though, that really intrigued me as a child were tooth fairies, and that was mostly because they gave me hard cash. So the idea of girl wanting to rob the tooth fairies because she is unhappy with the coins she's receiving was a really interesting idea. Of course I had to come up with a plausible reason why the fairies are being a little stingy which was naturally answered by the present recession (a topic that most kids are aware of to some degree). I liked the idea of the tooth fairy world suffering from the effects of the global recession and then suffering from the lack of interest in fairy stories.

I also liked the idea of taking kids' perception of fairies and flipping it on its head. What if they weren't the ethereal, glowing, sparkly beings we traditionally believe them to be? What if they were a bit rough and tattered and didn't speak with soft, floaty voices? I thought it would be an interesting change and I'm all for the surreal!

Enjoy

The Imaginary Scrapbook

No comments:

Post a Comment