Thursday, October 1, 2009

Day 31 - The Black Band

I got the idea for this story this morning after reading about a quite disturbing trend in the school yard. Kids, mostly pre teens, are wearing coloured plastic bangles that denote various sexual acts, either that they are willing to participate in or have already done. I couldn't believe it myself that kids as young as eight were saying they were expecting to have sex if one of their bangles were snapped. I don't quite know how this started up but I felt obligated to write a piece on it.

I did have in my mind to write a much darker story today and did struggle with whether I should make the story more graphic but opted to make it a 'rape that almost happens'. I thought that would get the essence of the story across without terrifying kids.

I will say though that I did draw on a personal experience that happened to me when I was 11 for this particular story. I don't know whether that helped the writing or not. Certainly I found some parts easier to write than others, but it did help me get into Kayleigh's shoes more realistically.

Enjoy, if I can really say that for this story,

The Imaginary Scrapbook

No comments:

Post a Comment