Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Day 43 - Unearthing Harry Sands

Last year there was a local news report about a man that had thrown a message in a bottle into the north sea off the coast of Orkney when he was eleven years old. Twenty five years later the bottle washed up on the West Sands of St Andrews (the town the now 33 year old, lives in). He was reunited with his bottle to much amazement.

That story had been sitting in my head waiting for me to turn it into something else. And then on Monday an idea was born for 'Unearthing Harry Sands'. This one was quite a complicated one to construct in my limited time frame and to be honest I finished it just after midnight (talk about knackered!). But despite the pressure I put on myself I really enjoyed crafting this story. The one real challenge, given that I wasn't tell the story from the very beginning, was filtering in all the elements of Holly's research. I hope I succeeded. But judge for yourself.

I should also add that I complicated matters for myself considerably by making an apple pie as well. Whilst I was peeling the apples I had my netbook beside me, making notes about the plot as they occurred to me. I think I must have a slightly sadistic streak in me to make my life needlessly complex!

Enjoy

The Imaginary Scrapbook

No comments:

Post a Comment