Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Day 57 - The house of leaves

I had the title of this story before I had the premise or the plot. There is a book called The House of Leaves, which my sister has read and which I gather is rather complicated and involves decipher codes or notes or something. Unless I have the time I really can't be doing with such books. I'm not a detective and I have no patience any more. Anyhoo, I loved the title and for this story decided to take it literally to mean a house of leaves, or more specifically a naturally occuring hut that forms every autumn when leaves fall onto the carcass of a dead tree. I liked the idea of a battle between two rival gangs over ownership of the hut every year but wanted this story to be about them both being faced with the ultimate foe and how they have to band together to evict the unlikely and fearsome resident to reclaim what they feel is theirs. Ultimately it means though that the race for ownership is in fact a draw and that sharing it will be the only way forward. At least until next year.

This is kind of my home ground really, writing quirky off the wall stories that have elements of current issues in them. The current issue here being the existence of Big Cats. It is loosely modelled on my own home village which has a sizeable forest that borders two villages and has (apparently) a Big Cat of its own, although only a couple of people have claimed to have seen it.

Enjoy

The Imaginary Scrapbook

No comments:

Post a Comment