Saturday, May 2, 2009

No possible Plan B

So here's the thing...do aspiring writers ever think of having a plan B career?

It's a question that sadly is nagging the pragmatic part of my mind.

I work in a university library and have been since I graduated with my MLitt in Creative Writing at the same university. I don't have a formal library qualification (my undergraduate degree being in Marketing!) but am now being gently coerced to consider my future by my employers. They clearly have my best interests at heart and want to nuture someone they consider a valuable asset. That I can understand and appreciate, but it leaves me in somewhat of a quandary. In my heart I don't want a plan B and don't want to have to contemplate or invest time and money in developing it. Call me a dreamer but my plan A career is to be a published, professional, full time writer. I'm doing everything in my power to achieve that goal. I've completed my first novel, recently had a short story published, have performed some of my work at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival and have even started this blog to get my name out there, so my dedication can't be called into question. But the fact remains that I'm not being paid to do what I love, I'm being paid to do something that in my heart will always take second place. Unfortunately the 'being paid' part is critical, especially in the current economic climate. So if it's a choice of fantasy or reality, which would you opt for?

No comments:

Post a Comment